Monday, February 4, 2008

Building a University

Reflection #3 - If you were to design a new University from the ground up, what would it be like?

If I were to build a University from the ground up it would be a male and female based college. It would attempt to be a blend at liberal arts education (http://www.iseek.org/sv/20005.jsp#definition) and technical school education (http://www.rwm.org/rwm/) to draw in a more diverse student body. The shape of the campus would be in a horse shoe or circle, with a quad in the middle. This way the studyent body could view everything that was going on. It would definitely include a coffee shop, that isn't Starbucks (http://www.starbucks.com/), as Starbucks is too overpriced for college students. There would be nice dorm rooms, that were spacious, while at the same time practical. It would be a school that wanted to make a change, or mold students that want to make a change, or impact on the community. I don't believe it would be a small private school, and I would ensure that it is a school where the best education can be had while still having opportunities to go to campus concerts, athletic games, or different campus organizations.

6 comments:

Chivone said...

Interesting that you said your college would include a coffee shop. In designing my college I was toying with the idea of including a coffee/liquor bar. Not a 'rum shop' as we say in Trinidad but just and extension of the coffee shop where you (21 and older of course) could buy a beer or a glass of wine. Wouldn't that be nice? I didn't have the courage to write it on my blog.

Jenn said...

So why would you want to build a co-ed university? What are the benefits? I also think it's interesting that you put things in a circle/horseshoe - why do students need to see what is going on all the time? What happens when the campus needs to grow?

bld13 said...

I find it very interesting that you chose the shape of your University, that thought never crossed my mind. I was wondering what your motivation is behind making it the shape of a horse shoe or circle.

Anonymous said...

Hey think i agree with the idea abut a coffee shop but not stabbucks...
But at the same time i was wondering if you have any ideas of how you are ging tomake your school "a school that wanted to make a change, or mold students that want to make a change, or impact on the community"...

katie said...

I think that a coed university would draw in a more diverse population of students, which in turn will open more eyes to the various cultures. I chose the horseshoe not so much in the way that everyone can see whats going on in other's lives, but rather what the university is hosting that day. In terms of expansion, the shape can be extended in almost any direction. The coffee shop with the liquor bar is a good idea, for legal age of course, and they seem to be popular in other countries. The problems I see with that is the need for a liquor license, and the constant regulation that would be needed to prevent underage drinking, and other obnoxious things like that.

Z said...

I like your idea for the school to have a horse s hoe shape so that everyone would be able to see each other. I also think it is good idea to have a campus that encourages student to make change in thw world around them. Would this be apart of the general learning requirements at your instituition?