Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reflection #2

There are many unrealistic expectations place on RA's. I think it is the belief that RA's should be able to solve everything on their own, at that moment that is the most unrealistic expectation. I think that students and administration alike believe that RA's should be able to handle everything because they have already shown extraordinary leadership skills, and the ability to handle things in a quick, decisive manner, so therefore they feel that they should be able to handle EVERY situation in that way.
Personally, I would simply make sure that I have a list of priorities, and when a situation arises, make sure not to panic, and to simply take a few seconds to either calm the student down or discuss the issue with them. Simply being able to realize that I may not be the best suited for that situation will allow me to refer it to someone more able. That knowledge is important because it takes off some of the pressure that RA's might feel, and with less pressure, situations can be dealt with very efficiently, and in a stress free environment.

4 comments:

Chivone said...

I don't know but I don't think an RA is expected to solve everyones problems. I think the RA will be expected to take action and manage every issue that comes up, but not necessarily be able to solve it. At least I'm hoping...

Michanty Battle '09 said...

i agree... and i think that your solution is very useful. also, getting your residents to trust that you will deal their problem effectively and efficiently will be a big part in that.

Anonymous said...

i like the strategy and the plan you have to solve a crisis but will it really work out if you have a test to study for the next day and a resident in crisis?
just wondering... :)
m.

jamie said...

I agree, RA's are not expected to solve everyones problems... I think it is important that RA's guide residents in the right direction(especially if you can't solve it or know the answer)- rather than feeling like they have to solve everything.