Monday, March 3, 2008

Reflection 5

Reflection #5 - How do you lead, when you are not the titular leader in a project?

When you're not the leader of a certain situation, it's often difficult to take a leadership position if you're unsure of how to go about it. When I am not the titular leader in a project I feel that it is necessary to network with all parties involved, and involve every individual in the processes taking place. By doing this, I not only gain the trust of others, but I help the titular leader because when everyone is involved, or feeling included, they are generally happier, and this will create a more creative, relaxed, stess free environment. Along with this, I simply apply myself. One of the best ways to lead, I feel, is to lead by example. So by showing others that I'm serious about what we're doing, then they should be too. This will help the group as well because it will encourage motivation, enable others to act, and this will help the project get completed at a quicker pace. This is how I lead, if not the titular leader.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

This approach clearly comes from experience :) So what happens if some of the "parties involved" are not down for being involved, especially the assigned leader? I feel like apathy is generally difficult for the unassigned leaders to address...

Joanna Nicoletti said...

Katie--

I think leading by example is the best way to lead. However, that means you always have to be an example and aware that you are being watched no matter what. How would you deal with the constant strains of being in the 'spot-light' so to speak? Even being on the side lines can be difficult.

Anonymous said...

You seem very empathetic and you understand how to relate to others. A happy team creates a better project. I also agree that it is important to lead by example. Make sure you pinpoint someone in the group who likes to get tasks done because sometimes worrying about others may just prolong the project.

Myster said...

I like that you talk about gaining the trust of everyone involved. It is true that when everyone feels included in a group that everyone is much happier. I feel that the position you take in leadership is necessary in any group activity or system.